How about the epic spectacle in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers?
If you’re not into fantasy, then maybe you have seen the stylish and seamless CG that matches Tony Stark‘s ingenuity in Iron Man?
If your answer to all is a resounding “YES,” then you’ll have Mike L. Murphy to thank.
Professionally starting out in 2004, Mr. Murphy has established himself as one of the best animation directors and animators in Hollywood. Aside from his involvement in the aforementioned films, he directed the animated sequences in 2010’s Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Outside his works in film and television, Mr. Murphy also owns Successful Animator, a website where he offers people animation courses. The task of training animators who will carve out a career just as he did falls in the hands of Mr. Murphy as he teaches aspiring animators the finer points of creating artworks and designs that push the boundaries of what a computer can do.
In a duet with PortPrep’s head portfolio coach, Karen Kesteloot, the two education leaders explore his knowledge of animation both from the film making industry and higher education points of view. Karen interviewed Mr. Murphy to find out the truth of what is needed to get accepted into the most competitive area in art education today and how to succeed after graduation. Here’s what they talked about:
- How Mr. Murphy started out as an animator student
- What inspired him to pursue 3-D animation as a career
- How forming friendships in the film industry has led to many job offers from producers
- What high school students must do to get into the best college animation programs
- What attitudes and strategies ensure success as an animator
- Job salaries and specializations within the wide umbrella of animation.
You can also watch the interview by part on Youtube. Here is the first part, which talks about Mike’s introduction to the study of animation.
You can view the other parts by clicking on the link below:
- Part 2 – How to specialize and market yourself
- Part 3 – What to put in your art portfolio and maintain your determination
- Part 4 – Why drawing well is so important
- Part 5 – Advice on career paths for animators
Learn the important things that Mike L Murphy talked about for animation students to get accepted into the best college animation programs by going to the next page!