Artist Spotlight features the best and brightest artists in their respective fields. PortPrep interviews each of them as they discuss their experiences on how they got into the arts, what it was like studying and getting a degree in arts and design, and the important traits necessary in becoming a successful artist. Click here to check out other interviews.
If you want to know how to become an animator, then you’d want to learn from the best. As animator to Hollywood box-office hits like Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Iron Man, and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Mike L. Murphy from Successful Animator is the guy you’d want to learn from about the animation industry.
“The Admission Insider” and PortPrep owner Karen Kesteloot had the opportunity to talk to Mike as he discusses his passion for animation growing up and the education he received that turned him into one of the most well-respected animators in the film industry. This is a must-watch set of videos that you must take cue from if you want to learn how to become an animator.
Below is a playlist from Karen’s Youtube channel containing the interview divided into different sections.
- The Importance of Following Your Goals – Mike tells the story of his undying love for animation while growing up and even before he went to college to study it. This passion allowed him to overcome obstacles along the way that led him to become a professional animator he is now.
- Getting into the Industry – Skill alone is not enough to turn you into great animators, Mike says. It is also important that you figure out which branch in animation you want to specialise in, as well as how to market yourself in the industry.
- The Importance of Artfully Animating – Students can only succeed by learning from their failures. Mike suggests that you ask for feedback if your application gets rejected. You should also continue coming up with original thoughts and ideas for your portfolio.
- Art is a Language – While computer is the medium used by animators to communicate their ideas, Mike believes that mastering hand drawing basics and learning the nature of 2-D animation immensely were key in his success as a 3-D animator.
- Career Paths and Job Availabilities in Animation – Mike talks in depth about the industry, especially the different salaries that each type of animator receives in the market.
Interview with Successful Animator Mike L. Murphy
Part of knowing how to become an animator is building an art portfolio that showcases your skills and best works. If you need help in building a portfolio for college admission, then get Karen’s coaching services! She will improve your drawing skills, which in turn will allow you to create stronger artworks. Her 100% acceptance rate (all her students have gotten into arts college!) and the testimonials she has received is proof that her services work!
Click here or on the banner below for more information!