Workshop Structure Options
Just your regular class room is fine for the workshop. I usually just use a pin up board or magnetic chalk or white board. A data projector is an asset but not essential. Hard copies of artwork are best–even just small print outs but laptops can be used as well provided the students have good computer skills.
There are two methods we can use:
- Verbal presentation using one of your students as a volunteer to learn about how to organize and edit a portfolio
- Hands-on workshop in which the students work together in small groups to help each other organize their portfolios and I visit each group to help them and instruct the group as a whole in a more organic way.
I think the latter is the best but I have found that rarely do all the students have work ready for this so we usually just have one or two volunteers bring their work in. If you can get your students organized, then let’s do the hands on one.
Option 1 – If budget is a concern at your school…
Save on my fee by arranging permission to have the sessions video-recorded and allowing some of the student work to be shared with other schools in the future. The videos are used for instruction and for promotion to other schools.
The cost: This allows you to get the workshop for half price–only $100 for a 2 hour workshop.
What you get:
- Students will get a 20% off coupon each for portfolio coaching with this option when they each write one sentence as a testimonial about how they found the workshop helpful
- You get the educators set of DVDs called The Proven ARTS Answer for the educator’s discount of $24.95 (regular retail rate $39.90)
- You get an educator’s set of articles and resources as PDFs for free.
- You would have to have waiver forms signed by all the students and their parents if they are minors. Click here to download the waiver form.
Option 2 – If privacy and ease are a greater concern at your school…
Choose to have the workshop at full price and the event is not recorded.
The cost: The fee is $200 for a 2-hour workshop.
What you get:
- All the students get a 20% off coupon off portfolio coaching with this option when they each write one sentence as a testimonial about how they found the workshop helpful
- You get the educators set of DVDs called The Proven ARTS Answer for free
- You get an educators set of articles and resources as PDFs for free.
- One student gets to win a scholarship by draw for a 1-hour private portfolio review lesson
In either case, I respectfully ask for a photo of the art instructor(s) and myself for posting on my company’s social media sites if your school board allows that.
I am available every morning during the week and on Monday, Thursday, and Friday afternoons.
- If the school you plan to hold your portfolio preparation certification is not within Ontario, Canada, then I will have to charge you for the travel expenses. Please send me an e-mail at info(at)portprep(dot)com so we can discuss the rates.
- If students need some advice in the time between now and when I come to visit your school, please direct them to my YouTube channel or give them access to our free e-book that full of our top articles and resources to support students as they prepare for applying to arts and design programs.
For questions and inquiries about my portfolio preparation certification, feel free to reach out to me in my contacts page.
I look forward to meeting you in person and helping your students reach their creative goals for their educations!
The Admissions Insider,